Thursday, October 22, 2009

I am going to be transfering files from a old hard disk to a new computer....?

I will build the new computer that will have the local C drive hard disk but i will also have temporally my old hard disk of my old computer connected onto the motherboard using a Sata ATA cable. Is there any chance that when transferring the program files and pictures ect the viruses and adware that were on my old computer can get into my new machine? i cannot remove the old viruses, adware and spyware because there is so much i have tried all antivirus software ect on the market so the question is if just transferring data files not system files could a virus make its own way into my new hard disk from the old one without me even physically transferring it?



I am going to be transfering files from a old hard disk to a new computer....?house call



It is possible to do but very risky.



First, ensure that the new PC has up-to-date antivirus (AVG Free - http://free.grisoft.com) is a good one if there isn't anything already) and anti-spyware (Spybot S%26D from http://www.safer-networking.org, not one of the various spyware-riddled imposters!)



Second I would suggest getting a SATA-USB adaptor or SATA Compatible USB Hard Drive enclosure (about 拢30 from PC World or Maplin Electronics) to connect the old hard-drive rather than connecting direct to the motherboard. That way you get a slower data rate but you can connect the drive easier and safer once the system is already running and therefore it won't scan and potentially activate a boot-time virus before your security kicks in. Just make sure to hit cancel when it tries to auto-run the drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment