Thursday, October 8, 2009

File Sharing?

I was wondering if I could access files from one of my laptops that currently isn't working.



It does boot up to a white screen and I can hear it running my antivirus software and such so I know it works, but obviously I can't access anything. (I believe the screen is the actual issue - It is very loose - so if you can think of a way that it could be fixed that would help too instead of trying to share files!)



They are both connected to my wireless network router. They are both Dell laptops, the one that is running is a 2000 Professional OP and the other is an XP OP. If that makes a difference!



Thanks for your help.



File Sharing?virus scanner



Well, here's what I would do.



First, boot up both computers. Go to your working laptop. Open network neighborhood. Do you see the nonworking computer in there? I'd say there's a fair chance this will work.



If so, can you access the folders on the nonworking computer? I'd say this is a longshot unless you shared the relevant folders before the laptop became nonworking.



So, here's what I'd do - figure out what kind of hard drive is in your nonworking laptop. Is it IDE or SATA? Then go to ebay and search for a 2.5 inch external enclosure (pick IDE or SATA, depending on your drive). Buy one (they're about $10 plus shipping) and when it arrives, take the hard drive out of the nonworking laptop, put it in the 2.5 inch external enclosure, and hook it up to the USB port on your working laptop. (They also sell these enclosures at computer stores for around $20-25). You should be able to access everything that way - assuming the hard drive is still good.

No comments:

Post a Comment